With the Beverly Hills Unified School District starting classes Monday, Aug. 27, it's time to get back to a classroom frame of mind. Along with lots of smiles and adventures, summer also brought about later bed times and, sometimes, a loss of routine.
Here are a few tips for getting back-to-school ready:
1. Bed Time–It's time to get your kids on a regular sleep schedule. Taking into consideration their wake-up time, make sure your kids get at least a good eight hours of sleep.
2. Appointments–Be sure to have all physicals, shots and records up to date. Doctor's offices are busy this time of year, so give yourself plenty of time. Also make sure your seventh grader has his/her whooping cough vaccine (for the 2012-13 school year and beyond, all seventh graders are required to have proof of whooping cough shots for the new school year).
3. Calendar–Pick up a school calendar that marks important dates. The start of a school year brings important meetings, days off, sporting events and other activities, so always remember to jot it down!
4. Shopping–No need to go crazy with back to school shopping. Check to see if you already have classroom staples before going out to buy more. When it comes to clothing, look for hand-me-downs and anything that still fits from last year.
5. Turn Off TV–During the summer, there's usually a more relaxed attitude when it comes to watching TV. However, now is the time to prepare your kids for a homework frame of mind. A great way to get them into the new routine is to have them read a book, do a puzzle or anything that requires creativity and imagination.
Do you have any back-to-school tips? Share them in the comments section below.