Hundreds attended the Beverly Hills Education Foundation's main fundraiser of the year, the Apple Ball, at the last Thursday evening.
The BHEF is a nonprofit group that raises money and pays for extracurricular programs at all five Beverly Hills schools. It covers the cost for additional staff members at the schools, a function that cannot be provided by the PTA because state guidelines prohibit such groups from paying for personnel.
This year’s event was renamed the “Beach Ball” to welcome summer. Comfortable attire was encouraged.
The ball raised at least $350,000, according to BHEF President Annette Saleh, including about $30,000 in pledges given during the event. According to the financial page of the BHEF website, profits from the ball vary widely from year to year. The event raised $377,000 in 2010, down from $689,000 in 2008 and $655,000 in 2007.
The annual event honors teachers from all five schools in addition to one Beverly Hills Unified School District administrator and one classified employee.
The 2012 Apple Beach Ball winners are:
- El Rodeo School Principal David Hoffman
- BHHS graphic design teacher Deb Joseph
- BHHS psychologist Gene Michelman
- Beverly Vista School third grade teacher Laura Revness
- El Rodeo School kindergarten teacher Karen Novoseller
- Hawthorne School vocal music teacher Christa Gutheinz
- Horace Mann fourth grade teacher Sherry Friedman
- BHHS lead custodian Alfonso Gonzalez
The ball also honors a local donor. Residents Edith and Bernard Newman received the “BHEF Award for Commitment and Dedication.”