While Mexican cuisine is good any time of the year, it's especially appropriate on May 5. Try these spicy, zesty, tangy and (perhaps most importantly) easy recipes as you celebrate Cinco de Mayo, courtesy of Taste of Home magazine.
Mexican Layered Salad
What you'll need:
- 4 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, halved and sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup canned chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Directions: In a 2-qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer the first five ingredients. Combine the mayonnaise, chilies and seasonings and spread the mixture over the top. Sprinkle with chips and cheese.
The Facts: 20-minute prep/total time, serves 10.
What you'll need:
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
Directions: In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in the salsa, beans, dressing, taco seasoning and cumin. Place three tortillas in a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the meat mixture, sour cream and cheese. Repeat layers.
Cover and bake at 400°F for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Let stand for five minutes before topping with lettuce, tomato and cilantro.
The Facts: 25-minute prep time, 30-minute bake time, serves eight.
Fresh Lime Margaritas
What You'll Need:
- 4 lime wedges
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup gold tequila
- 1/4 cup Triple Sec
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1-1/3 cups crushed ice
Directions: Using lime wedges, moisten rims of four glasses. Holding each glass upside down, dip rim into salt; set aside.
In a pitcher, combine the tequila, Triple Sec, lime juice, lemon juice and sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Serve in prepared glasses over crushed ice.
The Facts: 15-minute prep/total time, yields four servings.
For Frozen Lime Margaritas: Reduce lemon and lime juices to 2 tablespoons each. Increase the superfine sugar to 1/4 cup and the crushed ice to 4 cups. Add 3/4 cup limeade concentrate.
Prepare glasses as directed. In a blender, combine tequila, Triple Sec, lime juice, lemon juice, limeade concentrate, superfine sugar and crushed ice. Cover and process until smooth.
Makes 5 cups.
For Frozen Strawberry Margaritas: Follow directions for Frozen Lime Margaritas, except reduce crushed ice to 2 cups and add 2 cups frozen unsweetened strawberries.
Makes 4 cups.
For more Cinco de Mayo recipes, check out www.tasteofhome.com/cinco.
Have your own favorite Cinco de Mayo dishes? Share them with us in the comments section below!