Volunteers took a census of the homeless population in Beverly Hills. Read about that and more top stories from Jan. 27-Feb. 2.
1. A group of 27 Beverly Hills volunteers and city staff, including police officers, completed a count of the homeless population in Beverly Hills as part of a countywide effort to understand and address the complexities of homelessness.
2. City Council hopefuls met at the first candidate forum of the 2013 election season.
3. A teenage chef prepared dinner for 40 at BierBeisl, an Austrian restaurant in Beverly Hills.
4. Cardinal Roger Mahony posted an open letter to Archbishop Jose Gomez in which he contended that, under his leadership, the Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles became one of the best dioceses in the nation at dealing with the problem of sexual misconduct by clergy. The letter came a day after the release of personnel files of priests accused of sexual misconduct.
5. Police were looking for victims of an Internet-based scammer who allegedly defrauded would-be romantic interests of cash and other valuables in Beverly Hills and elsewhere throughout Los Angeles County.